John Ashton has over 40 refereed academic publications published in journals including the Journal of Banking and Finance, Regional Studies, Small Business Economics, the International Journal of the Economics of Business, the European Journal of Finance, the Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money,Corporate Governance, and the Journal of Public Policy and Marketing. John was appointed at Bangor Business School in May 2010, having formerly worked at the University of Leeds, the University of East Anglia and Bournemouth University. John was a founder member of the ESRC Centre for Competition Policy at the University of East Anglia, and has been a member of the International Institute for Banking and Financial Services at the University of Leeds.
He is Editor in Chief of the Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance. Academic Roles in Bangor Business School
- • Postgraduate and undergraduate teaching, research and supervision
- • Academic Director Chartered Banker MBA.
- • Lead - Franchised and Validated Programmes Bangor Business School Qualifications
- • Elected Honorary Fellow of the Institute of Chartered Bankers of Scotland (2016) • PhD, Bournemouth University • MSc Economics, Portsmouth University
- • BSc(Econ), University College Swansea Teaching Undergraduate Teaching
- • ASB-2508 - Corporate Governance and Regulation
- • ASB-2515 - Personal Finance Postgraduate Teaching
- • ASB-9044 - Financial Crises and Banking Regulation
- • ASB-4446 and ASB-4846 - Financial Ethics and Regulation
- • ASB-4896 and ASB-4903 - Financial Seminar Series Research Interests John's research interests include the pricing of financial services, competition policy and financial and utility regulation.
- • Winner ‘Best Paper’ Award International Journal of the Economics of Business. 2013
- • Winner Outstanding Paper Award: Journal of Financial Regulation and Compliance 2007 (with Laura Costanzo)
Other indicators of the impact of research I attempt to disseminate my research findings as widely as possible. To date, I have been interviewed for the financial, scientific and national press, national (Radio 4, BBC Radio Wales) and local radio (BBC Radio Ulster) and have had research work reported in a diverse assortment of media publications ranging from the Times Higher Educational Supplement, The Daily Mail, The Financial Times, The Times, the BBC and the Daily Star. I have also been involved with a range of policy related activities and advisory roles for institutions in the UK and internationally including DG SANCO and the UK Payments Taskforce..